Monday, October 23, 2017

Post #47 - I Might Be Getting Addicted to eBay...

I've been largely absent this past weekend, as I was attending the Iowa-Northwestern game at Ryan Field in Evanston with some buddies. However, two really big things happened in college football, at least for me.

1. Notre Dame dominated USC, moving up to #9 in the AP Poll and showing that they should at least be considered as an outside shot to make the playoff, while gaining Josh Adams some much deserved national recognition.

2. Army scored with 1 second left to tie Temple, then put them away when Temple missed a field goal in overtime, giving Army a 31-28 win. The Black Knights are now 6-2 on the season, heading to a bowl for the second consecutive year, and look poised to (hopefully) take down Navy in December again.

Maybe that second thing is what makes today's post a little odd. I am a big Army fan (I'm going to have a whole write-up on the Army-Navy game in a couple of months that explains more) but I recently picked up two cards on eBay that go against that logic.

I loved watching Keenan Reynolds play at Navy. The quarterback was extremely successful and very talented, and was eventually signed by Baltimore, despite his service commitment. While verifying some teams on TCDB a couple of weeks ago, I became aware that he had some cards out there, thanks to Panini. Of course, there are countless variations and whatnot, but I started checking eBay for a cheap autograph to add to my collection. Ultimately, I wound up winning two. I received the second one first:


This one is for me, and I was pleased to pick it up for just under $6.00 with shipping. I neglected to scan the back of it, as that's pretty standard. Like I said, this was the second card I bid on. The first one was...



...this one, from 2016 Panini Select. I picked this one up for $6.00 exactly as well (shipping included). I entered my bid on this card before it dawned on me that this was probably an extremely thick card (and it is, as patch cards tend to be). Thus, it would fit in my autograph binder, but not well. So I then found the Reynolds that I showed first, and entered a bid on that. I figured that I would strive hard to win the Elite card, and not worry about this Select. As it was, I snagged them both, and will be giving the Panini Select card to my dad, a Navy veteran, Navy fan, and memorabilia card collector, while I keep the other one for myself.

All in all, a solid couple pickups from eBay. I'm toying with the idea of perhaps starting a Keenan Reynolds PC, but I think I have enough projects going on right now! I hope everyone has a wonderful Monday, and as always, thanks for reading!

Jason

5 comments:

  1. Nice get! I don't pay attention to college football, to be honest, but it's always nice when Ebay auctions work out better than anticipated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's for certain. I've got to be careful. As much as I would like to pretend I have unlimited funds, that's just not the case. But that means I have to hunt a little harder, and that's pretty fun!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on winning them at such good prices. The Army field at West Point is the only football stadium I've seen in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a field that I would love to go to someday. I've seen Army play at Notre Dame, but that was back in 2006 before I was a big Army fan.

      Also Billy, I forgot to reply to your comment on my last post, and I do apologize for that. You were 100% right; my scans were coming out a little miscut because I was putting them right in that corner. I don't know why it never dawned on me that the issue was that simple. I've started moving away from that corner, and it works wonders, so thank you!

      Delete
  3. I've never been a big college football fan either, but I've started following a few ACC teams this season and I'm starting to see why so many people prefer college over NFL games. That said, their will be several NC State guys soon that I'll be looking to buy cards of.

    ReplyDelete